Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Humongous Challenge #1 -- Deb

Use what you have to create what you need/want

I am an habitual collector of potential. The theme of this challenge is something that has increasing gripped my interest lately, especially since I am very aware that we have way too much potential lying around here in the form of fabric, old pieces of furniture, tools, old clothing, yarn, craft stuff, dirt, seeds, containers, paint, frames, timber, food, old blankets, paper, toilet paper tubes, old towels, beads, feathers, energetic youngsters...you get the picture I guess. These are the kinds of things I can turn into a vibrant and fruitful garden, new and exciting toys and learning experiences for my children, gifts and thoughtful gestures for my friends and family, decorations and beautifications for my home, suitable and lovely clothing for those who need it, good and wholesome food to fill many hungry bellies, and perhaps even that most universal form of stored potential (and the one of which I'm not yet such a skillful collector)...

The ideal realisation of this challenge would be the conversion of all available resources stored in and around my home into useful and useable things, while not bringing new things into my home whenever it is possible to meet needs from within it. I suppose in order to reach this grand goal, I first need to know what I have, and what I need, so I will spend a little time figuring all of that out. It will likely be necessary for me to be very organised with this, or else I will lose my mind and any interest in this project. Thus I will need to categorise the dickens out of our resources and our needs and wants and make many, many, many lists. Therefore, step one = copious listmaking.

To be continued........

3 comments: